NSERC provides this financial support to high calibre scholars who are engaged in doctoral programs in the natural sciences or engineering. The CGS award will be offered to the top-ranked applicants. This support allows these scholars to fully concentrate on their studies and seek out the best research mentors in their chosen fields. NSERC encourages interested and qualified Aboriginal students to apply.
- Complete applications and all supporting documentation is due to GB105 by 4:00 pm, October 2, 2017.
- We expect results to be released by NSERC the following May.
- Please check full eligibility rules at the NSERC Website.
- You must be a Canadian Citizen or an Permanent Resident as of the date of your application.
- You must hold a degree in science or engineering at the time you hold the award.
- You must intend to pursue full-time PhD studies in the year you will hold the award.
- You must have an A- or equivalent in each of the last two years of study.
- To be eligible for an award you must have completed no more than 24 months of your doctoral program for which you are seeking funding at the time you apply.
- You must not hold other conflicting scholarships at the time you will hold your NSERC.
How to Apply
- The NSERC Application process has moved online, so fewer paper resources will be used.
- Visit the NSERC Online Services Website and either log in or create an account if you do not yet have one.
- Once logged in, go to forms – students. Choose form 201, and hit create.
- Choose the doctoral application.
- Title your research project. The proposed starting date should be September 2018.
- Navigate all the pages of the application by using the navigation on the left side of the screen. Remember to save each page as you go.
- Assign Michael Godwin as your University designate to upload your official academic transcripts. Family Name: Godwin, Given Name: Michael, Email: email@example.com
- Choose two referees, preferably Professors who know you well, and provide their information. You will want to provide your referees with a copy of your NSERC application before doing this part. You can print off a copy by hitting the Preview button.
- Order official academic transcripts from each institution you attended for undergraduate and graduate studies. Forward them or have them sent directly to Michael Godwin in GB105, 35 St. George Street, Toronto, ON M5S 1A4 by 4:00 pm, October 2, 2017.
- If you attended institutions outside of North America and we have a copy of the original documents in your admissions file, please let us know – we can use those for this award and there will be no need to order more. North American transcripts must be official and new.
- When you are entirely done and have confirmed all this information, save your application and allow time for us to upload your transcripts and for your referees to provide their references.
- The next time you log in, return to the forms – students page. You will now see your application in progress at the bottom of that screen. If you are satisfied that you are done, click verify. The online system will now check your application for errors or omissions. Correct any errors or omissions.
- Once verified, remember to hit submit to send your application forward by 4:00 pm, October 2, 2017.
- Once the applicant enters your information in the online application system, you will receive an email inviting you to provide a reference. Follow the link provided in the email.
- Fill out the brief profile on yourself, and use the navigation menu on the left to fill out each section as required.
- Hit Verify, and accept all the terms and conditions.