Info for New Graduate Students
Congratulations on your admission offer to the Department of Civil Engineering. Competition for program placement is very high and your offer reflects your high-calibre academic history. The Department naturally hopes that you continue with your excellent record, enjoy your tenure as a graduate student here and thrive in your research project.
Along with your rights and privileges as a graduate student come some responsibilities.
- You must maintain adequate academic standards and adequate progress
- Failure of a course (or courses) is likely to result in termination of financial offer
- You must maintain regular working hours (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.+, unless otherwise agreed with your supervisor)
- Two weeks (+ statutory holidays) is the norm for vacation (unless otherwise agreed with your supervisor)
- You are expected to sign an NSERC "Consent to provide limited personal information" Form, provided by your supervisor
- Your total funding will not arrive in equal monthly installments and will come from a variety of sources:
- Teaching Assistantship (from the Department);
- U of T Fellowship (from the Department/University);
- Scholarships - if applicable (from the relevant external or internal body);
- Research Assistantship (from the Supervisor's research funds). This component of graduate funding comes from research grants or contracts for a specific purpose, hence the acceptance of RA funds for an M.A.Sc. program prohibits a transfer to the M.Eng. degree program without repayment of RA funds (unless the transfer is requested by the supervisor).
- The award of most RA funds when research (rather than coursework) is at its height underlines that the RA payment is for specific research
- TA funds are paid on a monthly basis when working as a TA. UofT Open funds are paid out generally in the early part of the Fall Term. RA payments generally occur in the Winter and Summer Terms.
- You are responsible for observing all Department regulations plus any additional responsibilities associated with RA funding from your research project, in particular regarding:
- Submission of Progress Reports and attendance at Progress Meetings (especially Ph.D.)
- Course add and drop deadlines.
MASc & PhD Orientation