Cement chemistry; hydration kinetics; evolution of microstructural, mechanical and transport properties of concrete; the effect of exposure conditions on material microstructure, transport properties and durability; degradation mechanisms and indicators for concrete durability; durable and sustainable cement-based materials; supplementary cementitious materials; service life estimates and life cycle cost assessment, green building materials, non-destructive evaluation and testing of concrete.
Education and Designations
B.Eng. (McMaster University)
M.E.Sc. (University of Western Ontario)
Ph, D. (McMaster University)
|Course Code||Title & Description||Instructor||Session||Day(s)||Start Time||End||Location(s)|
|CIV100H||Prof. Tamer El-Diraby, Edvard Bruun, Prof. Oya Mercan, Prof. Jeffrey Packer, Prof. Daman Panesar, Prof. Shoshanna Saxe, Kyle Tousignant, Prof. Kaiwen Xia||Fall 2017||Scheduled by the Office of the Faculty Registrar.|
|Prof. Daman Panesar||Winter 2018||Tuesday||9:00||12:00||BA 2159|
|CIV498H||Prof. Daman Panesar (Course Supervisor)||Winter 2018||Scheduled by the Office of the Faculty Registrar.|
- Panesar DK, Yee-Ching, GH (accepted July 14, 2017 in-press) ‘Implications of Coupled Degradation Mechanisms of Cement Based Materials Exposed to Cold Climates’ (submitted to International Journal of Mechanical Sciences -Special Issue on Materials in Demanding Environment
- Jurcut* AC, Panesar DK, Sheikh, SA, Vecchio, FJ (accepted April 12, 2017, in-press) ‘Towards Macro Modelling of ASR Structures’ ACI Structural Journal (*supervisor is FJ Vecchio)
- Zhang R, Panesar DK (2017) ‘New Approach to Calculate Water Film Thickness and the Correlation to the Rheology of Mortar and Concrete Containing Reactive MgO’ Construction and Building Materials, 150. 892-902
- Seto, K, Chuchill, CJ, Panesar, DK. (2017) ‘Influence of Fly Ash Allocation Approaches on the Life Cycle Assessment of Cement-Based Materials’ Journal of Cleaner Production 157: 65-75
- Zhang R, Panesar DK (2017) ‘Investigation on Mg content in calcite when magnesium calcite and nesquehonite co-precipitate in hardened paste’ Thermochimica Acta. 654: 203-217.
- Gautam BP, Panesar, DK, Sheikh, SA, Vecchio FJ. (2017) The Effect of Multiaxial Stresses on the ASR Damage of Concrete. American Concrete Institute Materials Journal. 114(4):595-604.
- Panesar, DK, Seto, K, Churchill, CJ. (accepted Feb. 11, 2017, in press) Impact of the selection of functional unit on the life cycle assessment of green concrete. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, DOI 10.1007/s11367-017-1284-0
- Mo, L., Zhang, F, Panesar, DK, Deng, M. (accepted Jan 23, 2016, in press, online since Jan 2016) Development of low-carbon cementitious materials via carbonating Portland cement-fly ash- magnesia blends under various curing scenarios: a comparative study. Journal of Cleaner Production
- Seto, K, Panesar, DK, Churchill, CJ (2017) Criteria for the Evaluation of Life Cycle Assessment Software Packages and the Life Cycle Inventory Data with Application to Concrete. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 22(5) 694-706.
- Panesar, DK, Aqel, M., Rhead, D, Schell, H. (2017) Effect of Cement Type and Limestone Particle Size on the Durability of Steam Cured Self-Consolidating Concrete. Cement and Concrete Composites. June V.80, 175-189.
- Gautam BP, Panesar, DK (2017) The effect of elevated conditioning temperature on the ASR expansion, cracking and properties of reactive Spratt aggregate concrete. Construction and Building Materials. V.140, 310-320.
- Gautam BP, Panesar, DK, Sheikh, SA, Vecchio FJ. (2017) Effect of coarse aggregate grading on the ASR expansion and damage of concrete. Cement and Concrete Research V95 75-83.
- Gautam BP, Panesar, DK, Sheikh, SA, Vecchio FJ. (2017) Multiaxial Expansion Stress Relationship for Alkali Silica Reaction-Affected Concrete. American Concrete Institute Materials Journal Jan-Feb. V. 114 No.1. 171-184.
- Mo, L., Zhang, F, Deng, M. Panesar, DK (2016) Effectiveness of using CO2 pressure to enhance the carbonation of Portland cement-fly ash-MgO mortars. Cement and Concrete Composites. 70: 78-85
- Aqel, M., Panesar, DK. (2016) Hydration Kinetics and Compressive Strength of Steam-Cured Cement Pastes and Mortars Containing Limestone Filler. Construction and Building Materials. V.113 p.359-368.
- Gautam, B., Panesar, DK. (2016) A new method of applying long-term multiaxial stresses in concrete specimens undergoing ASR, and their triaxial expansions Materials and Structures. 49: 3495-3508.
- Onuaguluchi, O., Panesar, DK., Sain, M. (2014) Properties of nanofibre reinforced cement composites. Construction and Building Materials. Vol. 63 p. 119-124.
- Onuaguluchi, O., Panesar, DK. (2014) Hardened Properties of Concrete Mixtures containing Pre-Coated Crumb Rubber and Silica Fume. Journal of Cleaner Production. Vol. 82, p. 125-131.
- Panesar, DK., Dolatabadi, M. (2014) Properties of Photocatalytic Concrete. Journal of the Chinese Ceramic Society. V.42, No. 5.
- Panesar, DK., Francis, J. (2014) Influence of limestone and slag on the pore structure of cement paste based on mercury intrusion porosimetry and water vapour sorption measurements. Construction and Building Materials. Construction and Building Materials. V.52 P 52-58.
- Mo, L., Panesar, DK. (2014) Microstructure of Reactive Magnesia Cement Pastes Subjected to High Carbon Dioxide Concentration. Journal of the Chinese Ceramic Society. V.42, No. 2
- Mo, L, Panesar, DK. (2013) Accelerated Carbonation- A Potential Approach to Sequester CO2 in Cement Paste Containing Slag and Reactive MgO. Cement and Concrete Composites V. 43, 69-77.
- Panesar, DK. and Mo, L (2013) Properties of Binary and Ternary Reactive MgO Mortar Blends Subjected to CO2 Cement and Concrete Composites V.38, 40-49.
- Panesar, D.K. (2013) Cellular Concrete Properties and the Effect of Synthetic and Protein Foaming Agents. Construction and Building Materials V.44, 575-584.
- Churchill, C. J., Panesar, D. K. (2013) Life-Cycle Cost Analysis of Highway Noise Barriers Designed with Photocatalytic Cement. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering- Maintenance, Management Life-Cycle Design and Performance. V.9 (10), 983-998.
- Panesar, D.K., Churchill, C.J. (2013) The Influence of Design Variables and Environmental Factors on Life-Cycle Cost Assessment of Concrete Culverts. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering Maintenance, Management Life-Cycle Design and Performance. V.9(3),201-213.
- Panesar, D.K., Shindman, B. (2012) The Mechanical, Transport and Thermal Properties of Mortar and Concrete Containing Waste Cork. Cement and Concrete Composites V.34:982-992.
- Shindman, B., Panesar, D. K. (2012) Comparative Study of Plastic Property Test Methods for Self-Consolidating Concrete. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering. V.39, 937-950.
- Chidiac, S.E., Panesar, D.K., and Zibara, H. (2012) The Physical Pore Structure of Concrete containing GGBFS Before and After Exposure to NaCl. Materials and Structures J. V45:1245-1258.
- Mo, L., Panesar, D. K. (2012) Effects of Accelerated Carbonation on the Microstructure of Portland Cement Paste Containing Reactive MgO. Cement and Concrete Research. 42; 769-777.
- Panesar, D.K., Shindman, B (2012) The Effect of Segregation on Transport and Durability Properties of Self Consolidating Concrete. Cement and Concrete Research. V.42; 252-264.
- Panesar, D.K., Chidiac, S.E. (2011) The Effect of Cold Temperatures on the Chloride Binding Capacity of Cement. Journal of Cold Regions Engineering. ASCE pp.133-144.
- Panesar, D.K., Shindman, B. (2011) Elastic Properties of Self Consolidating Concrete. Construction and Building Materials, V.25, pp.3334-3344.
- Panesar, D.K., Chidiac, S.E. (2009) Capillary Suction Model for Characterizing Salt Scaling Resistance of Concrete containing GGBFS. Cement and Concrete Composites. V. 31, pp 570-576.
- Chidiac S.E, Panesar, D.K. (2008) Evolution of Mechanical Properties of Concrete Containing Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag and Effects on the Scaling Resistance Test at 28 days. Cement and Concrete Composites Journal. V. 30, pp.63-71.
- Panesar, D.K., Chidiac, S.E. (2007) UPV used to Predict the Early Age Properties of Concrete Containing GGBFS. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering. V.34, pp.682-685.
- Panesar, D.K., Chidiac, S.E. (2007) Multi-Variable Statistical Analysis for Scaling Resistance of Concrete Containing GGBFS. Cement and Concrete Composites Journal. V.29, pp.39-48.
- Panesar, D.K., Bartlett, F.M. (2006) Assessment of Precast Stringer Highway Bridges using Mean Load Method. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering. V. 33, pp.1359-1367.
- Panesar, D.K., Bartlett, F.M. (2006) Load and Resistance Data for Precast Stringer Highway Bridges. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering. V. 33, pp.1368-1378.
Names in bold font are researchers (HQP) that are/were supervised by Prof. Panesar.
- Kanraj D, Panesar DK (accepted Feb 2017) 'Effect of transportation of fly ash: an LCA and LCCA analysis of concrete' (submitted to 71st RILEM week & International Conference on Advances in Construction Materials and Systems to be September 2017 Chennai, India)
- Aqel, M., Panesar DK, (submitted Jan 30, 2017) ‘Delayed Ettringite Formation in Concrete Containing Limestone Filler. 10th ACI/RILEM International Conference on Cemenititous Materials and Alternative Binders for Sustainable Concrete (to be Oct 2-4, 2017, Montreal, Quebec).
- Qureshi,T., Panesar DK, (2017) ‘A Review: The Effect of Graphene Oxide on the Properties of Cement Based Composites’ CSCE- Leadership in Sustainable Infrastructure Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia).
- Gautam, B, Panesar DK (2017) Microscopic Cracking of ASR-Affected Fiber-Reinforced Concrete. ACI Spring Convention, Detroit, USA, March 2017.
- Panesar, DK, Bilan, Y. (2017) Carbonation Curing of Concrete containing Reactive MgO: A Study of the Material Properties and Economic Feasibility. 11th High Performance Concrete (HPC) and 2nd Cement Innovations in Concrete (CIC), Tromso, Norway 6-8 March 2017.
- Panesar, DK, Gautam, B (2016) The Mechanisms Behind the Partial Recovery in the Degraded Mechanical Properties of ASR-Affected Concrete. Fib Symposium. November 2016, Cape Town South Africa.
- Panesar, DK, Churchill, CJ, Seto, K. (2016) ‘Effect of Transportation Distance, Energy Mix and Allocation of Fly Ash on the Life-Cycle Assessment of Concrete’ International Association of Life Cycle Civil Engineering (IALCCE) October 2017, Delft, The Netherlands.
- Milanesi, C., Mussio, A., Minelli, F., Panesar, DK (2016) The Applicability of Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity Measurements to Self-Consolidating Fibre Reinforced Concrete. 9th Rilem International Symposium on Fiber Reinforced Concrete. Sept 19-21, Vancouver, BC.
- Abualrous, Y, Panesar, DK, Hooton, RD, Singh, B. Particle Size Analysis as a Means to Better Understand the Influence of Fly Ash Variability in Concrete. CSCE, London, Ontario, June 1-4, 2016.
- Zhang, R. Panesar, DK, Mechanical Properties of Concrete Containing Reactive MgO Under Accelerated Carbonation Curing. CSCE, London, Ontario. June 1-4, 2016.
- Leung,RK, Panthapulakkal, S., Sain, M., Panesar, DK/ ‘The Effect of Sodium Hydroxide Surface Treatment on the Tensile Strength of Cellulose Nanofibre’ First International conference on Bio-based Building Materials, to be June22-24, 2015. Clermont Ferrand, France.
- Seto, K, Churchill, C.J., Panesar, D.K. ‘Criteria for the Evaluation of Life Cycle Assessement Software Packages with Application to Concrete’ Canadian Society of Civil Engineering, to be May27-30, 2015, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Panesar, D.K, Aqel, M. ‘Properties of Self- Consolidating Concrete Containing Limestone Filler’ International Conference on Construction Materials and Structures (ICCMATS). November 24-26, 2014, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Churchill, CJ, Panesar, D.K ‘Life Cycle Assessment of Highway Infrastructure Designed with Photocatalytic Cover’ International Association of Life Cycle Civil Engineering (IALCCE) November 2014, Tokyo, Japan.
- Gautam, B., Panesar, D. ‘Anisotropic Expansion of ASR Affected Concrete Prism Specimens.’ XIII International Conference on Durability of Building Materials and Components. Sept 2-5 2014 Sao Paulo Brazil.
- Mo, L., Panesar, D.K. (September 2013) The Physical Microstructure of Reacive MgO Cement Pastes Subjected to High CO2 Concentration. 8th International Symposium on Cement and Concrete (ISCC2013). Nanjing, China.
- Panesar, D.K, and Dolatabadi, M (September 2013) Properties of Photocatalytic Concrete. 8th International Symposium on Cement and Concrete (ISCC2013). Nanjing, China.
- Aqel, M., and Panesar, D.K. (June 2013) Early Age Properties of Steam Cured High Early Strength Cement Mortars containing Limestone. CSCE, Montreal, Quebec. May 28 - June 1, 2013.
- Clarridge (nee Khasova), E., and Panesar, D.K. (May 2013) Early Age Hydration of Metakaolin Cement Blends. 1st International Conference on Concrete Sustainability. Tokyo, Japan, May 27-29, 2013.
- Panesar, D.K. (January 2013) Properties of Cellular Concrete using Synthetic and Protein Based Foaming Agents”. Conference on Advances in Cement and Concrete Technology in Africa, ACCTA South Africa, Jan28-30, 2013.
- Panesar, D.K, Churchill, C.J. and Dolatabadi, M (October 2012) Feasibility of Photocatalytic Concrete - Economic Perspectives. Proceedings of the Twelfth International Conference on Recent Advances in Concrete Technology and Sustainability Issues (Ed. P.Gupta & P.Gupta) Prague, Czech Republic, October 31-November 2, 2012, p.123-134.
- Shindman, B., and Panesar, D.K. (October 2012) Impact of Granulated Cork on the Properties of Concrete-Cork Composites containing Slag. Proceedings of the Twelfth International Conference on Recent Advances in Concrete Technology and Sustainability Issues (Ed. P.Gupta & P.Gupta) Prague, Czech Republic, October 31-November 2, 2012. p.149-158
- Churchill, C. J. and Panesar, D. K. (October 2012) The Economic Impact of Photocatalytic Concrete in an Urban Industrial Setting. Third International Symposium on Life- Cycle Civil Engineering IALCCE 2012, Vienna, Austria Oct 3-6, 2012.
- Yee-Ching, G-H, Wang, Y., and Panesar, D. K. (April 2012) Effect of Seasonal Temperature Changes on the Chloride Binding Capacity and Pore Structure of Pastes Containing SCMs. The 2nd International Conference MicroDurability, 11-13 April 2012, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. P.8.
- Panesar, D.K. and Shindman, B. (Nov 2010) Self Consolidating Concrete as a Repair Material for Ageing Nuclear Related Structures. Proceedings of the International Workshop on (AMP) Ageing Management of Nuclear Power Plants and Waste Disposal Structures. Toronto, Ontario. Ed. K. Philopose and V. L’Hostis. On CD 8p.
- Panesar, D.K. and Churchill, C.J. (Oct. 2010) Evaluation of Concrete Repair Alternatives for a Containment Structure Using Life-Cycle Cost Analysis. Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Life- Cycle Civil Engineering IALCCE 2010. Eds S. Chen, D. Frangopol, A H-S Ang. Taiwan Tech, Taiwan.p.740-745.
- Shindman, B. and Panesar, D.K. (Sept. 2010) A Comparison of Segregation Test Methods: Visual Stability Index and Column Method, Proceedings Vol. II Self-Consolidating Concrete (SCC) 2010- Design Production, and Placement of SCC 6th International RILEM Symposium on SCC. Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Eds K. Khayat, D. Feys. p.563-571.
- Panesar, D.K., Churchill, C.J., Chidiac, S.E., Kling, E. (June 2008) Life-Cycle Cost and Service Life Prediction of Precast Concrete Culvert. International Life-Cycle Cost Conference in Civil Engineering, Varenna, Italy. pp.857-862.
- Panesar, D.K. and Chidiac, S.E. (May 2008) Wet Cast vs. Dry Cast: Production, Properties, and Performance. 2nd Canadian Conference for Effective Design of Structures, Hamilton, Ontario. p.8.
- Chidiac, S.E. and Panesar, D.K. (March 2006) Sorptivity of Concrete as an Indicator of Laboratory Freeze-Thaw Scaling Performance. International RILEM Workshop on Performance-Based Evaluation and Indicators for Concrete Durability, Madrid, Spain. pp.59-66.
- Chidiac, S.E. and Panesar, D.K, Smeltzer, P. and Kling, E. (July 2005) Current Issues with Concrete Containing Blast Furnace Slag in the Precast Industry. 1st Canadian Conference for Effective Design of Structures, Hamilton, Ontario. pp.603-611.
- Panesar, D.K. and Chidiac, S.E. (June 2004) The Influence of Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag on Salt Scaling Resistance. 5th International Ph.D. Symposium in Civil Engineering, The Netherlands. pp. 269-276.